Saturday, April 10, 2010

No such luck...

on finding those Ball blue mason jars I posted about. I wanted at least six and couldn't come to terms with spending $5/jar in addition to S&H. So I made my own. A dozen for less than $25.

Supplies:
12 pint size Blue Mason Jars (purchased from HEB)
Vitrea 160 in turquoise (from Michaels)
Vitrea 160 thinner (again from Michaels)
fan brush

Directions:
Mix a dime size drop of turquoise Vitrea 160 with 2-3 fan brush dips of thinner in a tubberware container. Use a fan brush to brush the mixture onto upside down mason jars. Let dry for 24 hours. Don't worry about the streaks...they will disappear, for the most part, with the next step. Bake jars at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Then decorate!



I do want the vintage jars and may buy some if I ever find some at a good price,
but these should hold me over for now.

Idea copied from amountainbride.

4 comments:

abby @ tales and trials said...

Well aren't you clever! I never would have thought to paint the inside of a jar. So fun!!

Kristin said...

that looks great, t!

Andi said...

WOW, what a fabulous idea!! Very impressive!! They look great!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

these look great, dont buy anything else they look amazing!!!