There are 3 defects within our baby's heart:
1) Ventricular septal defect - an opening between the two ventricles of his heart that should not be there
2) Tricuspid stenosis - narrowing of the valve between the right atrium and the right ventricle
3) Small right ventricle
What does this mean?
The prognosis is good at this point. All defects can be repaired and actually the first defect listed does not require repair because it needs to be there and be open. If it closes they will then have to intervene.
Basically we are looking at 1-3 surgeries after he is born. The first one, if needed, will be at 5-6 days after delivery. The second one, which will be necessary, will be at 3-4 months. The third and hopefully final one, which will likely be needed, will be at 3-4 years of age.
Of course there could be complications that arise as there are a number of risks for each procedure and surgery. The cardiologist also warned that the situation could continue to evolve and may get worse resulting in:
1) VSD closing- which will be another surgery
2) Tricuspid stenosis turning into tricuspid atresia (which means the valve is not open at all)
3) Small right ventricle turning into hypoplastic ventricle (which means it is severely underdeveloped).
Even if the defects do evolve the treatment and prognosis will still be about the same. She did her best to assure us that while we may not have a football player on our hands, our baby should be able to have an active and healthy childhood with a good quality of life.
We are at peace with the news and found much relief in the news. Sure the next few months and years will be difficult, but that's a small sacrifice that we'll gladly accept to spend a lifetime with our son.
Thanks again for the prayers and the love. What a support system we have!! My cell phone was going crazy today and my inbox filled up quickly, but He heard our prayers. THANK YOU!
Please keep them coming as we prepare ourselves mentally, physically, and spiritually for the next phase of our journey.
Oh, and stay tuned for the big name reveal tomorrow.... for now we are off to an afternoon movie and some shopping for baby and me.