Sunday, September 5, 2010

Don't worry, be happy.

There is a verse that I keep seeing over and over again during my "quiet time." I found it to be a powerful verse, but I didn't really open myself up to it at first (probably because I didn't want to open myself up to it). Then this week this happened....

I recently added the Jesus Calling app to my iphone. Each day a daily devotional pops up on your phone, but you can also browse old dates as well. So this week I was browsing the old dates and I went back to the day I found out I was pregnant with Preston.  There it was again... that verse... popping up in my life again. After reading the devotion that went with it I finally surrendered and decided to open myself up to it. 

  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?    

Here's a snidbit of the devotion:  
You are on the path of My choosing. There is no randomness about your life.  Here and Now comprise the coordinates of your daily life.  Most people let moments slip through their fingers, half-lived.  They  avoid the present by worrying about the future or longing for a better time and place.  They forget that they are creatures who are subject to the limitations of time and space. They forget their Creator, who walks with them only in the present. 

The verse is from Luke 12, but I think one can apply this concept to your life with or without the Bible. 

I think it's pretty amazing (especially now that I've opened myself up to it), and it definitely applies to my life especially during this time. You see I am a habitual worrier, and although I've worked hard to improve on this area of my life over the recent years it is still a constant struggle.  My worrywart tendencies have surfaced the past six weeks (I can't believe it's been six weeks since my OB appointment when she told me about Preston's heart condition... I remember everything as if it happened just seconds ago).  

So I've committed myself to enjoying and cherishing every moment of this pregnancy. I am his mommy already and nothing can take that away from me.  I can't escape the thought or the fact for that matter that all of our days are numbered. I vow to cherish each day with Preston right here and right now rather than worrying about how many days I will be able to spend with him in the future.  I vow to enjoy holding him now (literally) instead of worrying about  how long I will be able to hold him after birth before the cardiologists whisk him away. 

Preston Randal
@ 21 weeks
Isn't he adorable?
I couldn't love him more.


 Happy Sunday and Happy Holiday Weekend and remember Bob Marley's song...
"don't worry, be happy"




"in every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don't worry, be happy."



3 comments:

Kristin said...

love and miss you lots!

PS. bobby mcfarrin, not bob marley! sorry, it's me. i have to do it! :)

Tiffanie said...

kristin... you know me and you know I've never heard of bobby mcfarrin. :)

Kristin said...

how about this . . . i was sitting in starbucks this morning and heard "watermelon man. by herbie hancock." and i wish i could make this up.