Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Team Preston


via

A number of you are asking just what exactly will happen once Preston is here so I'll share what I know with you guys.

The plan is to deliver Preston via c-section on Tuesday, January 4th. Then to be honest only God knows what will after Preston is born.  The doctors aren't sure, and I certainly don't know what to expect. The hospital plans to hold an operating room open and ready for Preston should he need surgery on his birthday, but the doctors aren't sure if he'll need surgery that day or just within the first week of life.  It will all depend on how stable P is when he is born. As I shared on Monday they are pleased to see his heart function is still stable, and they are hoping he remains stable outside the womb so they can do some imaging and testing on P once he's born and then schedule his surgery after they've had a chance to get a clearer look at the anatomy of his heart.  Surgery will be inevitable, but at this point we just aren't sure when or how soon. We pray for God's perfect timing.  Of course we have absolutely no idea how long Preston will have to stay in the hospital after his surgery.  Even if his surgery is extremely successful and all goes well they still like to keep the heart babies there for a few weeks afterwards to ensure they are eating enough and growing well.

After my c-section they will take him directly to Texas Children's Cardiac ICU. I'm trying to prepare myself for that moment ... that moment where I watch my son and my husband walk away from me to go to TCH. I simply don't think there's a way to fully prepare myself for that moment. I'm afraid ... afraid to be away from my Gherkin ... and afraid for Preston. Fortunately I got to tour the facility today. I got a little weak in the knees when I walked into the Cardiac ICU on the 18th floor of TCH. Seeing those babies confined to their beds and all the mommies leaning over the beds trying to stay as close to their babies as possible was overwhelming and heartbreaking. The room started spinning when she showed me the machines Preston will be hooked up to while in the CICU.  So ready for him to be here, but so not ready for it at the same time.  Know what I mean?

The good news is that both hospitals (St. Lukes- where I'll be staying after my c-section and TCH- where P will be) have Wi-Fi. I'm hoping that I (or a designated family member) will be able keep you guys updated through this blog on a consistent basis.

I also know that I love this little guy with all my being, but that's all I know for now.


p.s.   Team Preston shirts are in process. Thanks for the idea, Aly.

12 comments:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Your lil man is in our family prayers every night. Team Preston shirts?!?! Love it!

Tiffanie said...

Thanks Mandy! And yes, we're going to have Team Preston shirts and stickers made for him. I'm crazy (I know it) but it helps keep me distracted and makes the time pass quicker.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

I will need to order one of these shirts!! Let me know when you get this finalized!

My heart ached reading some of that post! He will be under the best care once he is born, and that made my heart stop aching! I will be on pins and needles waiting to read updates on you and P.

Just a few more weeks!!!! :)

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

Every night my dear, every night....I think of your little family every night. :)

Cheers~
e

kristyo15 said...

Sign us up for shirts. I'll make Em & Trey sport them too! :)

Sending our Lumberjack love and prayers!
The Owens'

Jumping Jack said...

Sign me and Jack up for a shirt too!

I can't imagine how hard it was for you to tour the hospital, but I know it will be comforting when Preston gets here to know exactly where he will be and a little of what to expect.

It is in God's hands and I'm praying he'll keep bringing you peace during everything!

Random Kristi said...

I just found your blog last week and I am hooked. I love your style but most of all I have never felt so sure that someone I don't even know will be such a wonderful mom. The love you have for your family is beautiful. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Kristi

Kristin said...

i'd like a team T tee, also. maybe p on the front, t on the back. i may just put team elmo on my shirt and that'd cover all bases.

plan on seeing me on your special day. stay tuned.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jessica said...

Team Preston right here! I definitely want to be apart of it and will order one also.

I can't even begin to imagine what you and your hubby are going through, but God is with you. I believe that Preston will be okay! :)

Please let us know when we can order the shirts! :)

The Sexton 3 said...

I went through that exact moment about 6 months ago when Luke had to be taken straight to the NICU after birth. Honestly, it wasn't as hard as I imagined it being because in that moment... all I wanted was for HIM to be okay. Just make sure you have your family around and just try to take it one second at a time. You will learn that you just have to live in the moment and not try to anticipate what the next hour or next day will hold.

No matter what happens, always remember that the Lord is good and is faithful, He will never leave your side! Prayers for a perfect healthy baby Preston! :)

Queen Bee said...

Tiff! Love the shirts!! I want some! Y'all have been in my prayers and so much on my mind!! Hugs to u and the bump!! Blessings!! K

Kristin said...

Just came across your blog. Real Tears! I'm praying for you and your sweet baby boy. May God be with you all. I would love to have a shirt as well.