Monday, February 14, 2011

And the doctor said...


all is   a-ok.

We headed back to TCH for a follow up with P's cardiologist today, and instead of hearing words like hydrops, heart failure, surgery, and mortality we heard things like better, happy, blessed, and pleased. 

His heart function is still trying to recover from having the defect so long in utero. It is definitely stable and seems to be improving slowly.  They are hopeful that his heart will "remodel" itself and recover from the damage done in utero. We increased his medication but only because he is growing like crazy and not because his heart function is worse. 

She shared with us that she presented Preston's case at a national conference just recently sharing pictures of the actual tunnel and the coronary artery she took during surgery and that the overwhelming response was surprise and shock that he survived to birth. That again brings me back to reality and helps me keep my eye on the big picture here... that this is God's plan and wonderful will for our lives and for Preston's life... and that our prayers were answered.  So thanks again for sending all those prayers up.

She also used that dreaded R word. Reflux. Ugghh. We're told that reflux is very, very common in heart babies, and she's afraid he may have shown some signs of reflux today. We'll wait to talk to his pediatrician about it in a couple of weeks.  The good news is that it doesn't seem to be affecting his feedings or his growth.

So today was a great and fabulous day. Hope yours was too. 

Thanks for our cute onsie, Susan!
It reads "All God's grace in this tiny face."

16 comments:

Missy said...

Reading this was the perfect way to end my day!
God is good and Preston is a true blessing!!

So glad all went well! Cannot wait to meet that sweet boy in a couple months(oh and see you and T too!)

Mommyblogger said...

What awesome news today! So glad things went well. My boy struggles with reflux and it's a real pain. Happy Valentines Day to you and yours :)

Kristin Butler said...

That is wonderful news!!! I'm so happy that he is doing well. My little boy has reflux too and eat more than enough. I've gotten lots of advice on it so if the medicine that they put you on doesn't do the trick, do a blog post and I know that you will get a lot of helpful information. I feel soooo bad for parentsd and children who deal with reflux. Its like a "club" your in because people whose kids don't have it don't know how easy they have it.

Katie Cooper said...

praise God for a great report!

Stefenie said...

GREAT news!!! Sorry you had to hear the "r" word though. Reflux is very common in heart babies especially after surgery. Logan had severe reflux and it was not fun. Thankfully after lost of meds and time things improved. I think it is a good sign that it hasn't affected your little guy's appetite yet!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashley said...

Wonderful news!! He truly has an amazing story, and it's easy to lose sight (for me as a reader) of just how serious his condition was/is because of how well he has done with the surgery and recovery, so thank you for the reminder of how God is working through Preston. Hopefully you guys can catch the reflux on the front end so that it doesn't escalate too much!

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

new momma here sobbing like a baby! i/m soooooo excited to hear the great news! God is Good and held little P in His arms the whole time huh!!!!

Shae said...

So glad to hear that Sweet P is doing good. I love that little onesie. How sweet is that?! :)

Lynett said...

Yay for P! I'm so happy he's doing well. And he's SO CUTE!

Cheryl E. said...

I am so glad I came across your blog, I was reading about your Sweet Little P and his struggles. I will be sure to keep your family in my prayers. I can't wait to follow you through your journey as God continues to heal your Little P.

Jumping Jack said...

That's great news!

I love that little onesie! I know I always say it, but Preston is so precious!

Breann said...

Aaaaah Reflux. Let me know if you need any tips/tricks. But from what you told me, he shouldn't need meds...

Happiness Is... said...

So thrilled to read about continued blessings for your sweet family. God is good!

Nancy Yetter said...

Do you know where Susan got the onsie Preston is wearing?

Tiffany said...

Yay Preston! :)