Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More Preston Lovin' (and CHD Awareness Week)


My heart it a little heavy this week. It's CHD (Congenital Heart Defect) Week. It's to raise awareness for CHD, which occurs in 1 in every 100 babies (that's a lot of babies y'all). I've come across so many blogs (new and old) this week... so many babies with CHD... so many mommies who've lost a baby to CHD. So my heart is heavy.

My heart is heavy but hopeful. Hopeful that more will be done to prevent (if that's possible) CHD, detect CHD, and cure CHD. Hopeful that families affected by CHD will be adequately supported with literature, information, and of course emotional support. Hopeful that God will bless the families affected by CHD far beyond what we can imagine.

My heart is heavy, but thankful. Thankful for modern medicine. Thankful for physicians (and techs) who take their job seriously in detecting and diagnosing CHD. Thankful for the physicians who prepare (if that's fully possible) families for the birth of babies with CHD. Thankful for all the support that's out there for CHD. Thankful for Texas Children's Hospital. Thankful for cardiovascular surgeons who stay on top of their game in fixing the broken hearts that come into this world. Thankful for volunteers that make heart pillows, blankets, and visit heart babies in the hospital. Thankful that I serve a God who's consistent in providing comfort and peace in a time of brokenness, worry, and fear despite our asking why. Thankful that He knows better than we do.

And I'm so thankful and hopeful for this little guy....
lovin' his facial expression here
lovin' his cradle cross that one of my patients gave him

also lovin' his onsie that his friend Jack sent him 
To all those affected by CHD, I'm sending lots of love and a big hug your way. To all those sharing their stories this week and/or posting to raise awareness for CHD, thank you. To Preston, thank you for fighting so that you could fill my life with so much joy.

Ephesians 3:20 

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow, what an important week!

Lovin' P's expression here too! Full of surprise! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog through Katie Rye's blog. I have not left messages before. Reading today's posting, I am reminded of my friend who's son had CHD. This was almost thirty years ago...so not as much learned back then as now. Anyway, he has 3 children now, all older than when he was so ill. Father is the God of miracles then and now. A new friend, Marion Hansen

Missy said...

He is just precious and through his pics I see such a great little personality developing! God is so good!

Jumping Jack said...

Praising God everyday for your little miracle baby and praying for all of the other CHD babies and their families!

Preston is such a cute little guy!

Kimmie said...

That expression is just priceless! :)

And I totally echo your sentiments. Thanks for posting.

Big Fat Mama said...

I am praying for your Preston. I have a ministry on my blog called A Meal in the Mail where I feature families who are going through a difficult time and ask readers to send them a meal in the mail through a restaurant/Visa/American Express gift card. If you or anyone you know would be interested in being featured, please let me know! You can find more about it at my site - www.cookingupfaith.com
Thanks, and again, praying for Preston and all other babies affected with CHD!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

I love that onsie Brnady sent you!! She is so talented! :) :) Preston looks great!

Important week for every family that has been faced with CHD. I had never heard of it until I found Megan's blog and your blog :) So glad to know more about his and I hope doctors can find a cure for this!