Sunday, April 10, 2011

maternity leave.

It's over.  Just when I've got the hang of it, it's over.
I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to stay at home with Preston for a full three months, and I'm thankful (although this post may not seem that way) to head back into my career tomorrow.  We'll see if I feel the same way in a couple of months.

Being a stay at home mommy for three months was hard but most definitely rewarding. Shame on those people who say being a stay at home mom isn't a real job! So I think I can do this (the whole going back to work thing).  I mean there are a ton of you fabulous women out there who went back to work, survived, and have achieved that balance of being a working mommy, right?  Women do this everyday, right?


I will forever remember this time with Preston. Here are some of my favorite memories ...
days of freezing temps that resulted in us hibernating inside snuggling by the fireplace,
our long walks at the park,
sleeping in with my baby until he woke up,
receiving his smile for the first time,
witnessing him roll from belly to back for the first time,
hearing him chuckle for the very first time (on the very last day of my leave)
day-time television,
Clifford, The Big Red Dog (Preston loves all things red),
PraiseBaby DVD collection,
grocery shopping on a weekday (i loathe crowded grocery store shopping)
staring at these big brown eyes everyday ... all day,
amazon.com shopping with 2 day free shipping (addicting),
repeated visits from my family (love you guys),
lunch/walking/play dates with good friends,
living in Nike shorts and t-shirts,
I could keep going and going.


I'm going to miss you tomorrow, Preston.
Maternity leave has come and gone and I sometimes still can't believe that you are here and that I get to be your mommy on this Earth. I praise Him for working through the doctors and surgeons to miraculously mend your broken heart. 

So tomorrow I will put on my big girl panties.  They'll be resistant and uncomfortable to slip on as my heart will be tugged in so many different directions, but I will squeeze them on and head back to my day job tomorrow morning.  I'm sure 5 o'clock won't come soon enough, but it'll get easier with time. Right?
Phillipians 4:13


19 comments:

Breann said...

I'll comment when I stop crying...

Happiness Is... said...

Ok, so I totally have tears. I am so right there with you. I remember when you had your little man and I realized we were so close. And this post therefore hits close to home. I, too, am going to give work a whirl. Today I turned on my computer (for work because I wanted to get a recipe - shows you what kind of work/life balance I had before!) and it actually felt like I was ready. Well, as ready as I'll ever be. I want to try it and am eager to see if I can pull it off. But then I have moments where I think I am crazy. But I am determined to try because I'll never know if I don't.

Enough about ME - point being, I will be praying for you tomorrow. Who will watch baby P?

Hugs - I know this isn't easy.

The Daigles said...

You will cry tomorrow. We all do it! But it will get easier after a couple of days!! Hang in there. Remember how all your patients and your BOSS have missed you too! And your son will give you the sweetest smile when you get home!

emily said...

What a sweet post. I will be thinking about you tomorrow and hoping that 5:00 comes very quickly!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Aww! Preston is so lucky to have YOU as his Mommy! I can't wait for him to grow up and understand all that he went through, all the support and your amazing love for him :)

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Aww! Preston is so lucky to have YOU as his Mommy! I can't wait for him to grow up and understand all that he went through, all the support and your amazing love for him :)

Samantha said...

It def gets easier with time. Speaking from experience--I cried the entire Friday the week before I went back to work. But I am glad I went back to work!

Kristin said...

I will be thinking of you tomorrow! It is HORRIBLE the first day (week), and I know that probably doesn't make you feel better...but it does get easier! I NEVER thought I would say that. You are such a great mommy and your little man will see you as such a strong hard working mama! Good luck!

Diane Haynes said...

That was beautiful. I cried, um still crying. Yes you can do it.
Kiss Mr. P for me.

lindasjournal said...

All the best for today!!

Stefenie said...

I've been able to experience both sides of the mommy coin...as a full-time working mom and now as a stay at home mom. When I had to return to work with my first born it was incredibly hard at first. I cried everyday the first week anytime I looked at his smiling face in the picture on my desk. It is a balancing act, for sure, but it does get better. You will always feel a little guilty dropping your child off at daycare while you go to work and missing some of those milestones.

As a stay at home mommy now, after my second child was born, I have been able to enjoy every minute of being home with Logan, even though it has not always been easy. Thank you for saying that being a stay at home mommy is a real job. Not many realize that.

Thinking of you as you head back to work! It'll be ok, I promise!! {{{HUG}}}

Jules said...

I'm praying for you today!! It definitely gets easier each day, but sunglasses were a must for me the first few days :)

Alice said...

My baby is 14 months old. I got to stay home with him for 3 months also. I personally don't think it gets easier. LOL! I want to be back at home with him so bad. I am at work for 40 hours a week. Plus an extra 5 a week for our lunch hour (that my boss won't let me skip so I can leave earlier!). Plus an extra 40 minutes driving back and forth. Ugh!

Good luck! Make sure to look at lots of pictures of your little guy.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jessica said...

My eye lids are filled with sweet tears! Very sweet post.
Preston is very lucky to have parents like you & Mr. Gerkin!

Lynett said...

Wow, I can't believe it's been 3 months already. Wishing you the very best of luck...I'm sure it will get easier with time.

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

Your sentiments remind me exactly how I felt returning to work after maternity leave. I worked for about 6 weeks, then quit to be home full time, but now I'm back to work 2 days a week and it's working great! My son stays home with our babysitter and her daughter (age 4) and James loooves his time with them. I wish you all the best, and hope your transition goes well:) Remember, the weekend will be here soon!

fittingbackin said...

awwww such a sweet post! I hope you're having a good week and that your time at work is going by quickly! You're going to love having this list of memories to look back on - although something tells me these are things you'll probably never forget!

Jill Bull said...

Hi Tiffanie! I went back to work part-time after Claire was born (20 hours a week) and then after Audrey I have cut way back to 3 weekend days a month ( I work at Minute Clinic in CVS.) So Jason watches the girls on the weekends I work. This has worked out really well for us. Yes, money is a little tight, but God has blessed Jason's job and He is providing above and beyond for us and totally meeting our needs (and even some of our wants.) We totally think it is worth it and I am so thankful to be able to do this (I always thought I would be the Sugar Momma :) .) The baby phase goes so fast, then they are in Kindergarten. I don't want to discourage you (I know some moms don't have a choice), but pray about it and if you feel like the Lord is leading you to be at home, take a step of faith and just trust Him. He will provide.

Shannon said...

Thinking of you and hoping your week is going well. I can't imagine how hard it would and must be to leave your little sweetie!

(P.S. Sorry about the whole Photobucket thing...Tons of people are very annoyed and for good reason! Hope it's fixed soon. My blog is a mess too! )

XO