Tuesday, April 19, 2011

perspective.

Tax Day was yesterday. Sigh. With the hubby being an independent contractor we dread every April. This was the worst one yet (as far as taxes go).  Writing that check yesterday was awfully difficult, but oddly enough I found myself counting my blessings and thinking about the things that are important in my life.  Money just isn't one of those things I find that important anymore. Sure, we paid Uncle Sam, the medical bills are starting to roll in, and our accounts have dwindled but I'm not stressing like I would have before (before Preston was born).  We're alive and healthy. He's alive and healthy. That's all that really matters, right?
Work is great! I'm glad to be back. I do have a few twinges of guilt here and there about not being home with my Sweet P, but those are short lived. A good friend, Elizabeth, reminded me a few weeks ago that it's not necessarily the quantity of time that he'll remember but rather the quality of time. So I constantly remind myself of that when I start to feel sad about not being home with Preston. It also helps me remember to make the most of the few hours of the day I do get to spend at home with him. 
One of my patients said something last week that really made me think more about that quality time.  In asking her how old her son was now she answered "he's half-way out of my house."  (He's nine.) At first I thought she was relieved about that, but she then explained her statement saying that's how she keeps things in perspective as we only get a mere 18 years with our children in our homes before they can make the decision to leave our home and go to college. Then it's their decision on whether or not they come home to sit around the Thanksgiving table with us. That certainly put things in perspective for me. I walked out of the exam room with a lump in my throat.  Luckily for me she was my last patient of the day so I grabbed my bags and hightailed it home.  Before Preston was born 18 years felt like a lifetime.  Now, not so much.

Proverbs 22:6

14 comments:

Cheryl E. said...

I am loving this. I needed this today. Thanks.

I miss C everyday while at work but try and make the most of my time when I get home from work.

He is such a blessing and I love him so much. These 18 years are going to fly by :(

Jessica DeWitt said...

You are absolutely right, quality over quantity. Out boys {all three of us} aren't too far part - so it's like we are all mom's together. Callen has started to smile and laugh and know my face and voice more and more. 630p - 830p are fun times at my house!

Jules said...

What a wonderful reminder! Time has never been as precious as it is now :) I LOVE the pics you posted, but I really want to see his little face in person! We need to get together! Happy Tuesday!

Jumping Jack said...

I love this post, Tiff! The sweet lady's words brought me to tears - 18 years will go too fast!

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

sniff sniff...that means my child is only a few years shy of leaving my nest...my oldest is 14...but he's an aug bday...which means he flies the coop at 17! i'll protest! :o)

and ur friend is right...it's the quality!

Big Fat Mama! said...

Oh, I really liked reading what that lady said about half way out of the house. Really makes you have a different perspective, doesn't it? And, speaking of perspective, what if your son, watches you work, work hard, work to serve others, and takes all of what he has seen you do in your work efforts, and applies it to his work and family one day?? :)
Psalm 90:17

Melanee said...

i know what you mean about having so little time to have them with you in your home. i'm about to send my oldes to kindergarten and i've been thinking about it every day wondering where all the time has gone and when it was that she turned into this amazing little person.

Newlywed and Decorating said...

Now I have a lump in my throat :) Love your perspective!

Kristin said...

haha, that's what you think. he's going to live with you FOREVER! oh, no wait. that's me! :)

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

I'm so happy to hear that work is going well- it's a great feeling to know you're leaving your little guy with a caregiver you trust- and does some cleaning too- can't beat that!! My babysitter does too and I love it:) But you're right, having a baby changes your perspective on everything!

Happiness Is... said...

I have heard that same comment before (that 9 = halfway out the house) and it totally gave me chills. Because at 9 they are still SO little.

You are giving your son a wonderful example, and I hope to do the same -- just having MAJOR anxiety over here!

Breann said...

STOP. MAKING. ME. CRY.

Missy said...

Love that sweet face! I have allowed myself to believe that Park is going to want to live with me forever!! I am going to be in for a huge reality check in 18 years!
Hate that we didn't see you while we were in, but I could never risk spreading anything to P!
We will be back in June and I WILL see you and Sweet P!

Anonymous said...

The quality vs quantity talk has been around for years. Think this through before you believe it.
As an experienced mother of 5 grown children... let me suggest..
You have to have a alot of Quaninty to catch the quality moments!. This weekend we watched old family videos. I can remember those days perfectly because I didn't miss a one! And I can not remember what my vacation was or what kind of fancy washer and dryer I had. Listen to your heart.
I am suggesting that you all pay attention to that LUMP
in your throat.. A mother's nuturing arms can not be replaced, even by a grandmother or best friend. Don't miss out on this special time. You will never regret giving up material things for belly kisses.. I Promise!!!! God created you to be their mommy.