Monday, May 23, 2011

hospital checklist (better late than never)

So I've been meaning to post this for a while now (four and a half months to be exact). Here's a list of things that helped make my my hospital stay (after Preston's delivery) a bit more glamorous.

1. The first essential would be your own pillow and pillow case.  I bought a new pillow case from the Pottery Barn Outlet for P's delivery because I wanted something a bit more colorful and fun than the generic white pillow case the hospital provides.  Mr. Gherkin made fun of me when I purchased it, but not only did I have a familiar, comfortable pillow that smelled of home, it also added some great color to the pictures taken to document P's birthday.  See...


2.  The next essential would be some smell-good, refreshing shower products.  I actually didn't think of this before hand, but Elizabeth brought me some of the most amazing lavender bath balm and bath oil along with some books and trashy gossip magazines to read.  Showering after a c-section can be both mentally and physically challenging, but I actually looked forward to it since I got to use my great smelling bath products.

3. This isn't really something that will help make the stay glamorous, but rather some advice that may make it a bit less stressful. If you opt to save your baby's core blood in a private registry then PUT SOMEONE IN CHARGE OF CALLING TO MAKE SURE IT'S PICKED UP!  This is the one thing I completely forgot to delegate on my very detailed agenda for P's birth.  Ideally the collection should be picked up and overnighted to CBR (we opted to use Core Blood Registry) within 24 or 36 hours (I forget which it is).  Turns out that late on Friday evening, well over 72 hours since P's first breath in this world, I found the collection kit buried under all my bags with the core blood collection still in there.  I freaked out.  I mean I completely lost it.  I had every intention to take care of it myself, but I was so sick the afternoon Preston was born that between the vomitting and hot flashes the core blood never even crossed my mind.  To make a long story short, after calling the 1-800 number for over an hour and many tears later I spoke with someone who said they would send for it to be picked up, overnighted, and tested for viable cells.  Within a week they called to tell me there were plenty of viable cells.  Phew!

4.  Air freshener! Hello, bad smelling hospital food.  Hello, postpartum flatulence.  Hello, lots of visitors.  Here's what I packed in my bag and it happens to be my favorite air freshener of all time.

via
5) Finally (and a more obvious one), you'll need a great pair of slippers and robe. I took these and a totally cute and comfortable robe from Anthropologie (thanks to a gift card from one of my favorite patients).  

6) Nipple shields. They're inexpensive enough to have around even if you don't end up needing them, but man they will help aid in latching in case your little own has latching problems initially. I actually didn't have any on hand, but that was the first thing I left the hospital to get when they did let Preston start nursing. 

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I hope I didn't forget anything.  I can hardly believe it's been four months already... 

11 comments:

Elizabeth Conaway said...

Most hospitals will give you Medela nipple shields. Just ask the lactation nurse for them. Glad those bath products and informative news periodicals (how else would you know what Heidi and Spencer were up to!) came in handy! One more hospital tip that I tested- you can order as much food as you want and they never stop you or question you. A nursing mom is a hungry mom- don't be shy!

Ashlynn said...

Thanks for reminding me about the air freshener! It wasn't me that had that problem (I don't think) but my mom let out HUGE one and the nurse came in and gave me kind of a dirty look. I was so sore from delivery and I couldn't stop laughing. It was terrible and funny at the same time.

Dear Kate said...

My favorite thing that I brought from home was my own toilet paper! We were in the hospital for about a week and it was such a blessing after a vaginal delivery not to be using the sandpaper that they stock!

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

that was a great list. i have yet to do a detailed list for labor. maybe with #6 haha...kidding
i just use the birth center..you show up have the kids and ur home within 2-3 hrs after giving birth. i just brought a change of clothes to get my butt home in.

ok i'm a total freak for mrs meyers stuff. i hope my addiction passes!

Alyssa said...

Great list! I would recommend NOT spending much on slippers for afterward. Mine were ruined the first time I got up to use the restroom after having MY Preston- those hospital pads are not fast absorbing. I was glad they were Target cheapos!

Newlywed and Decorating said...

Thanks!! I just starred this post for when I'll need it a few months down the road :)

Paige said...

What a wonderful list!!

Surviving Suburbia said...

I love #2. They do not have soap and after having a catheter a shower is well... awesome!

I also Like to print a sign that says a polite no visitors at this time. I never had the heart to turn anyone away not even the hospital creepy photographer or community social worker that checks in to see if my milk came in (creepy). So I would just have the hubby or nurse hang up my little sign and poof! I got some much needed rest

Surviving Suburbia said...

Oh and I would add bringing your own personal famine hygiene products. How I missed that memo I don't know but the ones the hospital gave me looked more like a Viking ship & the hubby was not crazy about going to the store for me!

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

TTC and found some great slippers in the airport this past weekend. I bought them, my hubs laughed when I told him why I HAD to have them ;o)