Monday, May 9, 2011

one person's trash, another person's treasure.

Decorchick!

I'm linking up with Emily over at Decor Chick! for her "Anything Goes Party" where she challenged me to finish the side-of-the-road freebie shelf I snagged a couple of months ago.  

I saw it on the side of the road one day while walking Mr. P and had Mr. Gherkin go pick it up for me.  It was rusted and gross, but one can never had too many shelves, right? 

After a good sanding, I covered it in a couple of coats of black spray paint.  

The only black paint I had on hand happened to be three cans of chalkboard paint, and since the baby was sleeping and going to the store wasn't an option, I used the chalkboard paint.  The shelf's conveniently located so that we see it when walking in and out of our back door under our breezeway, so I am hoping the use of chalk may be helpful around our house... 


Now I can keep my homemade mason jars on display, and with candles thrown in them, they are the perfect addition to an evening on the patio.  


You can read about these DIY mason jars here

14 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

What a great shelf!! Your mason jars look so cute on there.

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

Oh I love how it looks, esp at night:) Great job!
xo,
Sarah

Decorchick! said...

Ha, it's perfect Tiffanie! Anything with chalkboard paint and mason jars are a definite keeper in my book. :) So glad you got it done for the party!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

cute, tiff!!

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

girl rockin the trash to treasure!

love that you had to use the chalkboard paint instead of black paint..i think that added to the greatness of it.

i'm about to paint a small section of a wall w/chalkboard paint and i'm scared to death! haha i'm guessing 3 coats (crosses fingers)

Ashley@ DesignBuildLove.co said...

LOVE the shelf! Turned out great!

Missy said...

Love it! Love that it also serves as a to do list for Mr. Gherkin!! ha

Kathryn Stamps said...

Love it!!! You are so creative!!

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jessica said...

Oh, I love it. I've never heard of Chalkboard paint! Interesting! :)

Carly {Honey and the Moon} said...

Looks great! I need to get to work on my curbside find!

x

Perfectly Imperfect said...

That turned out fabulous!!

emily said...

That looks great! Love the chalkboard paint idea!

Nancy W said...

Great job!!

Donald said...

Love the shelf - it looks great.

Also loving the jars idea and might do this for the patio table and kitchen!