Wednesday, June 8, 2011

the dog days.

With these hot (hello, it was 105 degrees this weekend) days most of our days go a little something like this:

                             
"No, honey, we can not go outside.  It is too hot, and daddy wouldn't let us have the house with the pool that mommy liked so much."


There are some afternoons that I just throw on a denim diaper (thanks Nana) and call it quits.  Preston doesn't seem to mind. 


We sit and play and stare out the window wishing daddy would let us have that pool. (again sans clothes)


Even the dogs are a little down in the dumps.  Sam misses his daily walks (I'm scared he will overheat).

I've snatched up Mr. Gherkin's Nook and started reading again since we're spending less time outdoors.   I currently can't put down Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo.  I love it, and whether it's real or not (I believe it's the truth just for the record) it has certainly helped renew my child-like faith. 


Now I don't want to wish time away here, but I have to say I'm already looking forward to Fall and the cooler temps.  If it's 105 degrees the beginning of June no telling what kind of temps August will bring.



18 comments:

kristyo15 said...

I just finished Heaven is for Real...LOVE it. I'm with you, I choose to believe it. :)

Can't wait to see y'all this weekend...we'll chat soon!

Jessi said...

Agreed - its in the upper 90s here and its too hot for JW to be outside! We have the jumperoo too! Love it! Hope you are doing well and staying cool!

Jenn said...

That denim diaper is adorable!

Kathryn Stamps said...

He is getting so big!!! What a sweetheart!! Do not blink or you'll be watching your 9 year old play baseball before you know it ;)

Stefenie said...

I've heard that book is REALLY good. It is on my list of reads for this summer.

Love the denim diaper look!!

Brooke said...

Feeling your pain. It's boiling in SA too. This is when I have no issues with our HOA fees because I LOVE our neighborhood pool!

Libby's Life said...

We are having cool weather here in OR and I am wishing for it to be warmer but not that warm! But he looks adorable in those denim diapers! I want to get some for my little man... my mom has some but they're at her house. I am thinking next time I go there I am going to steal one of her boxes. They are just so precious. My mom bought that book and I am stealing it from her when she is done with it because I believe it is real too because what little kid is going to know to make that kind of stuff up?!

Life Behind the Ivy said...

First off- Preston is adorable- his faces here are so sweet!
2nd- it was 105 here this weekend??? Yikes- I knew it was hot but GRACIOUS! Good thing I didn't know it or I wouldn't have gone outside at all!

Sarah @Newlywed and Decorating said...

This heat is crazy! My car said 103 degrees today! Stay cool - even without the pool :)

boo and stacy said...

Love that book!!!! And cracking up with the husband not getting you and Preston that pool!!!!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Cute photos of P! How is that book? I've been wanting to find a new read ....

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

First, denim diaper...so cute! And second, even if you have the pool - trust me (as someone on vacay & relatively close to beach/water/pools), by the time you lather them all up with sunscreen, put on the swim diaper, put on the swimusit and actually get dressed yourself - it's almost time for another nap and they are sooo over the water. At least that's what is happening in our house right now. : ) So stay cool with the AC and the books - I'm personally resorting to that tomorrow! xoxo

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

Y'all can come over and jump in our little blow up pool! James looooves it! I just lather him down with sunscreen and don't stay out too long. The demin diaper is too cute!

mollykcash said...

I just bought that book for my daddy for Father's day!! I can't wait to read it though!! From what I know of it I believe!!!

emily said...

Seriously, those pics are so cute! And I am so ready for some cooler temps too, and it's not even close to being over yet!

emily said...

Seriously, those pics are so cute! And I can't believe how hot it's been!

Katie Jones said...

I just read Heaven is for Real, too! I believe it as well. :)

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

Heaven is for Real is one of the best, and easiest reads Ive had in my hands over the past 6 months. No doubting anything in it here. It lines up with scripture too so Im not sure why anyone would doubt it.
I love your little man. Im still so thankful that he's here, safe and healthy:)