Monday, June 13, 2011

sunday dinner and baby food.

 I made tortilla-crusted chicken with cilantro-avocado sauce for Sunday night's dinner, and spruced up the cilantro-avacado sauce with a little salsa verde left over from this morning's breakfast tacos.
I can't remember whose blog I got this recipe from (let me know if it was you and I'll link back to you) but here's the recipe:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 egg
¼ cup milk
4 cups unsalted tortilla chips

¼ cup sour cream
1 small avocado
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
juice of one lime
2 to 3 tablespoons water
salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pound the chicken out to ¼ to ½ inch thickness or butterfly each breast. In a bowl, whisk the egg with the milk. In a food processor, pulse the tortilla chips until they resemble a fine powder. Put the crushed tortilla chips in a separate shallow dish. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture. Dredge the chicken into the crushed tortilla chips and toss gently to coat. Place the chicken in a greased baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.

In a small food processor or blender, add sour cream, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and water. Process until smooth, salt to taste. Drizzle sauce over chicken. Serve with a pineapple margarita (ok, so I made that last little bit up).
So what's baby food got to do with this you ask.  Well, I knew I wanted to start Preston on solid foods this week (so far he's only had rice cereal).  I was going to start with sweet potatoes and try my hand at making them, but Mr. Gherkin brought home an avocado the size of my head from the grocery store (thanks for grocery shopping this weekend, Gherk) and half was left over after making the sauce.  Soooo... Preston is officially on solids, and his first real solid was a mashed up avocado!  
Up next, we'll go bananas!! 

15 comments:

Breann said...

Hopefully this works for you, but as soon as Logan started getting a full serving of solid at night plus his bottle... sleeps 11 hours and doesn't wake us up once until his favorite time: 6:45am. Good luck!
Oh yeah - don't forget the 3 day rule, but I am sure you already knew that.. :)

Anonymous said...

My little boy is 1 month older than Preston- solid foods haven't done a thing to help him sleep better. His reflux is still too strong I think. Anyways one of my friends did fruit before she was finished with all of the vegetables and now her child won't touch vegetables. Do the nasty things first.

Kristin said...

you are so mexican. i love that you gave your kid an avocado. that pretty much makes my day!

Jules said...

I want to come eat at your house... that dinner looks delish! And Preston looks so cute in his high-chair.

Brooke said...

Welcome to the world of solids P! Avocados are pretty much a daily occurrence in Harp's diet. And I live by www.wholesomebabyfood.com!

Libby's Life said...

Avocados are amazing for babies! They love them too so it works out well for all of us. :) That chicken looks amazing and I think we are going to be making them for dinner tonight!!! Yummy!!

Jessica DeWitt said...

I am TOTALLY going to make that!
OH, FYI.. Bananas can cause constipation... I always mix it with a little prunes.. just in case. Preston is looking so CUTE!

Alice said...

Colton's first food was an avocado. He loved it! And now at 16 months, he will eat Wholly guacamole anytime! He also likes salsa and spinach-artichoke dip!

Ashley Paige said...

that looks DELICIOUS!! And go, P for eating plain avocado! eventually you can get all types of fancy and mix the avocado with a little mango or banana... C's fave way to eat 'cados! We love 'em that way! Go P!!! ;)

Libby's Life said...

Oh had to tell you I stole your praying for Preston button :)

Anonymous said...

Need to try a few more veggies before fruit i think. cream corn, yummy

Sarah @Newlywed and Decorating said...

Cilantro and avocado are two of my favorite things! Yum!

Alyssa said...

Mmmmm! That chicken dish just might find its way onto next week's menu! And it's funny- my Preston's first real food was mashed avocado, also! And making baby food is so much fun!

Alice said...

also, how do you make your pineapple margarita?? I want!

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

such a big boy eating foods....i haven't even thought yet which one i'll start Reid with...

about the chicken...def adding it to the list