Friday, September 9, 2011

baby proofing.


We spent a good part of our labor day weekend completing our attempts to baby proof the house. 

After crawling (so I would be at baby level) around the house on Friday morning (don't laugh... I saw it on Bethenny: Happily Ever After so it must be legit, right?) I made a to do list of all that needed to be Preston-proofed. 

I made sure all electric outlets were covered.  I moved all the small (go-straight-to-my-mouth type) items far out of Preston's reach, and tied up all the strings on the blinds. 

After waking up to this (see below) last Wednesday at about 3 a.m., we mounted his monitor to the ceiling.


One thing I realized about half-way through is that baby proofing is not aesthetically pleasing.  I loathe fireplace padding, but what else can I do.  It's up.  I hate it.  Anyone else have any better ideas?  Share them if you have them, puh-lease.


I moved all cleaning products out from under the sink and hung them with a tension rod in our laundry room storage closet.  (Thanks pinterest for that idea).  So there's no need to child-proof the cabinets now with those annoying little cabinet locks since all the chemicals are put away and the cabinets are full of only tupperware, pots, and pans.


We order these (for less than 5 bucks --- thanks Amazon) and secured all heavy pieces of furniture and our two large floor mirrors to the wall. It took no time at all to secure the furniture.

Last but definitely not least I secured the treadmill (you know that thing you are supposed to turn on every once and a while... that thing that helps your pants not fit so tightly) by wedging a dowel rod between the belt and the floor.  So if P ever hits the release apparatus causing the belt part to fall the dowel rod will prevent it from falling on him.  It actually works well, and just to be on the safe side and because the belt part weighs a ton we're going to add one more dowel rod.


Phew.  I'm glad that part's done.  I was stressing about it.  Did I miss anything?  Anything else needs to be Preston-proofed?




11 comments:

Missy said...

Sounds like you got it!!
I do not like the fireplace padding either, let me know if you hear of any better ideas.

Also, send me a pic of how you mounted the camera? I need to do something. I see the same thing or hear the camera drop bc he has reached it and thrown it!

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Love the tension rod idea! I'm going to steal that one.

Sounds like you did a pretty good sweep through. I'll tell you this - P will let you know very quickly what you missed! When we let the twins "loose" - I can't even tell you the number of trips we made the store to buy additional products. Oh and amazon made a fortune off of us.

I'm with you though - baby proofing is NOT attractive. I am so glad the twins can move around and do their thing, but I MISS the way my house looked desperately! I can't wait until they are old enough to be un-baby proofed.

One thing - I don't know what your tv cabinet is like, but ours was wide open (no doors with glass to close off the electronics) and that quickly became a hot spot. We ended up gerry rigging up a gate in front of it - can you say cute? NOT. But cheaper than buying a new piece of furniture for something that's temporary. Happy moving, P!

Cheryl E. said...

Oh the good old baby proofing. I still have some more proffing to tackle and I am liking your idea of using the tension rod. I might have to install one in our laundry room too. Good ideas here. Thanks.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Ok my future child will die. I guess I didn't realize that you had to baby proof sooooo much!

Alice said...

Eventually you will need to baby-proof the bathroom toilet. That and the toilet paper roll fascinates babies to no ends!!

Donald said...

The only thing that comes to mind with the baby-proofing on the fireplace is that it's that time of year where seasonal decorations come up, and could be used to hide the padding.

For instance, could put up fake fall leaves/other fall foliage that is safe and that will hide it. And later on, garland/Christmas-themed stuff. Just would need to be stuff that is also baby-safe itself.

Michelle said...

You are an expert!
Baby proofing may not be attractive to the eye but it is MUCH more pleasing to the eyes than ER bills and injured child photos!
Can't love you more sweet T and sweet P!!

In this wonderful life... said...

gracious! I can only imagine what we will need to do! I've always wondered about the fireplace, too!

Jumping Jack said...

Sounds like you got all the big stuff. I hated all the baby proofing, but that stage will pass all too quickly and before you know it your house will be back to "normal". We still have cabinet locks and door locks which will always be annoying! HA!

Love the tension rod idea!

The Brown Family said...

A hot spot for our toddlers are the dining room and breakfast table chairs. We have super heavy dining chairs, but they have learned to pull them out, stand on them and eventually the chair flips over backwards. We have had quite a few bruises.

Just thought I would warn you :) It is something that I never thought about.

Happiness Is... said...

Oh no. I am so not looking forward to this stage. I mean, I am, but I am not. I'm not making any sense.