Friday, October 21, 2011

what's on my mind: mama drama.



Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 
Ephesians 4:2 NIV

I find myself asking God over and over again for more patience.  I felt like my prayer request was going unanswered as I was still easily finding frustration instead of peace and humility when things didn't go the way I had planned.

Then one day last week I read the daily devotional from Proverbs 31 Ministries (thanks, Sam for turning me on to this ministry), and it served as my wake-up call.  I will say I wasn't immediately humbled.  In fact, I actually kind of turned my nose up at the message at first (you can read it here).  Then that evening as I was getting in the shower, again easily frustrated about something so silly that I can't even remember now, it was almost as if I could hear Him say to me "You're not listening to me... NO MORE MAMA DRAMA!  I will provide, but it is your choice to take it."

Dang. So it's my choice, huh?  That was exactly what I needed to hear. A burden was lifted.

Now when I find situations spiraling out of my control, I mumble to myself those 3 little words... no mama drama.  (Mr. Gherkin has since come up with the no wife drama phrase but for some reason it hasn't been as successful)  I don't know how or why, but saying those three little words makes all the difference in the world.  I probably look and sound like a complete moron walking around mumbling those silly words to myself, but it can't be any worse than how foolish I look and sound during one of my temper tantrums.  I still have my moments (umm, just two nights ago), but it's working. So now...


When my baby splatters my shoes, my pants, and my white chair covers with vomit...
no mama drama.

When I accidentally add too much water to my pot roast and dinner is ruined...
no mama drama.

When I'm missing Modern Family because my kid has decided to stay up past his bedtime...
no mama drama.

When my child wakes up because my dogs start barking at the very same neighbor who walks our street every.single.day...
no mama drama.

When I wake to my child's shrill (which means he thinks it's playtime) and it's 3 a.m... 
no mama drama. 

When my child refuses to sit in his high chair or has all of the sudden decided he's not a fan of the carseat...
no mama drama. 

When I, once again, try on my favorite pair of pre-pregnancy pants and they still don't button...
no mama drama.

Probably should just go ahead and burn those jeans, huh? And, for future reference, I've also realized that currently the whole no mama drama thing only works if I'm the one who reminds myself.  Those three little words had the opposite effect when Mr. Gherkin tried to use them on me :)

Thanks for letting me put myself out there today.

Love you guys!

Source: google.com via Shandra on Pinterest




20 comments:

Cheryl E. said...

I need to remind myself of this too. That Jim Henson quote is actually perfect. I might put this up on the fridge as a reminder. Thanks for the great post I can totally relate.

ashley said...

I think a lot of us can definitely relate to this. I often find myself tired and frustrated, so I try to remind myself not to sweat the small stuff.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Aly @ Analyze This said...

I absolutely love Proverbs 31 devotional emails. I truly look forward to them and keep them in a folder so I can reference them when needed - which is far too often!

You are a great Mom and I know it all can be so overwhelming ... Shoot, I have a dog and that is overwhelming enough! Ha!

I for one appreciate the honesty and inside look at motherhood, being a wife, career woman and somehow juggling it all :)

No more mama drama .... ;)

Ps- that quote/picture is wonderful. I will have to remember that when I have kiddos :)

Kristen said...

Tiffanie- You aren't alone in this and think most moms can relate to all of those situations that make you just want to freak out! I'm also pretty sure that this is exactly what I needed to hear today. I think I'll be joining you in whispering this phrase to myself ;) thanks for sharing and for you vulnerability!

SushiMama said...

I have the feeling I'll be needing this in the future. And I love that quote from Jim Henson!

Happiness Is... said...

I love that quote. I want to print it and put it on my desk. How true. I needed to read this today. Yesterday I was SO frustrated because Thatcher was screaming while I tried to get everything ready in the morning and then he looked at me with these helpless eyes and tears and I felt so horrible. And then I read part of a chapter last night in Grace Based Parenting that talks about how babies need to have hope that their needs will be met and so when we ignore them or get frustrated, sends the message that it's not worth hoping for. Break my heart.

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

ive been getting the provb 31 women's devotions for about 5 yrs now...and many many have hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. i think they wrote them just for me sometimes.

parenthood is a trial of patience. i have failed and i have grown. each day is a new day with new challenges and past experiences that stretch me beyond belief.

but those little reminders are terrific to get us back on track!

as for the pants...i'll burn mine with you..just when i thought i lost 3 lbs...i had actually gained 5....defeat. i'll never get into those by thanksgiving

elizabeth said...

great post! we all need a little "no mamma drama" reminder every once in awhile!

Jessica Drew ♥ said...

Awesome post. One day you will look back and appreciate this as I'm sure other mothers do also. It's hard to admit when we we've acted a fool, ESPECIALLY when our lover says it.

It's one of those things, I can say it but YOU CAN NOT!

Keep your head high! You're a wonderful mother and wife!

A Boy, His Girls & A Big Dog said...

Thank you thank you thank you. I need to remind myself of those words daily, and I can't wait to use the Jim Henson quote next week for Wordy Wednesday.

Stacy said...

Very convicting! I think everything has to be perfect for me to be considered "successful" (a successful mom, wife, cook..whatever). And if it's not I get so frustrated! Just last night, I had a disastrous attempt at making rice krispie treat pumpkins for my kids' classes. It was terrible. My first response was just to get frustrated and throw it all away. I was mumbling, "why do I even attempt this mess?" My husband's answer...because you're a good mom. So sweet and made me remember the WHAT doesn't matter to my kids...the WHY does!

Wow...that was long. Sorry!

cardigansandcrayons.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

Honey, why on earth do you have white chair covers??!

Missy said...

Love you! I needed this today!!

Breann said...

Seriously, why do you think my wine habit is so bad? ;)

Molly said...

Sometimes we all need this reminder. The Jim Henson quote hit me hard, it's exactly what I needed to hear today.

Shae said...

Sounds like something I need to start telling myself. I love the quote by Jim Henson!

Tiffany said...

Hi! I don't know how I stumbled upon your blog, but I needed this post today! Funny how that works :) I'm a fellow blogger...another Tiffany from Houston! Just wanted to say hello!

CBB said...

I'm not a mom but I feel like I can relate to "no wife drama"....

Last night for no reason I was annoyed at every little thing my husband said or did and rather than sighing and eating chocolate, I should have prayed more about it!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

well said. I think I deleted that devotion because it hit too close to home. is that bad?! but it's true, sometimes we all need this reminder.

Lisa Johnson said...

Oh man, I am so with you on that. I need a serious intervention on the mama drama. Thank you for the reminder to be patient when the drama starts to creep in. :)