Tuesday, January 10, 2012

it's a dog eat dog world.


I promise to post pictures and details of Preston's Rookie of the Year party very soon.  While I'm getting the pictures together and the post prepared I want to give y'all a sneak peak and share a pretty funny story.

I've been planning Preston's cake for months.  MONTHS!  Actually, truth be told, I tasted this cake a couple of years ago at a baby shower (Hi Lyndsay!), and I've known since then I would serve this cake at my child's first birthday.  It's cookies and cream filling and it's soooo good.  Seriously. 

So here it is.

Pretty, huh?
I was so in love with it.

And here it is about 30 minutes prior to everyone arriving.

photo credit: Kristy of Owens' Originals Photography

Yep, the dog got into the cake.

I screamed. Mr. Gherkin made it from the back yard into the kitchen in two, very quick strides.  My friend (love you Christin!) poured me a glass of champagne, and then we laughed and laughed and laughed.

My friend cut off the part of the cake contaminated with doggy slobber and grabbed a spatula, but there was no covering it up.
you can see the red icing in his beard if you look closely.
Just in case you're wondering ... Carter (or Yar-ter as Preston says) is still alive and we even let him in bed with us last night.  Next time, though, we may not be so forgiving.

Makes for a good memory, though, and the cake (minus 1/8) was still delicious. 


By the way, the cake was made by Carrie at CarrieMadeTheCake. If you live in the Houston area I highly recommend her and her cookies and cream cake.  Trust me, you won't be disappointed. 


18 comments:

Cheryl E. said...

That cake rocks!!! I love it! Great job designing it. So sorry to hear the doggie helped himself, but like you said it makes for a great story.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Haha!! P's cake turned out great! And Carter was in HEAVEN! Lucy ate the ENTIRE stick of butter at Christmas. Jumped up and just devoured it. Let's just say she was outside a majority of the evening ... precautionary. I didn't want another mess to clean up!

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

OK THAT IS THE BEST STORY EVER. i mean now it is...
i'm sure at the time you wanted to bang ur fists and cry and spank the doggie and put him in time out!

but that's totally awesome!!!

Missy said...

Poor Carter!! He just wanted to share in the festivities too!

The cake is SO cute..even with the 1/8 missing!!

Alyssa said...

What a cute cake! I'm sure it was just as good anyway!

My husband's aunt picked up a large sheet cake for her daughter's party about 2 years ago and put it in the back of their Acadia, then proceeded to let her climb around in the car (she was 3). She climbed in the back to see the cake and stepped on it. So at the party, there were two foot prints and one of her hand!

Tami said...

That is TOTALLY something my dogs would do! Despite the doggy taste-testing I think the cake looked beautiful! I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures from the party!

emily said...

Oh no! Our family dog did that once! You can't be mad at that face for too long! And that has to be a cake from Carrie Made the Cake, right? Love her cookies and cream!

Dianna said...

OMG that sounds like something that would happen to me!! It reminds me of the episode on Friends of Emma's first birthday and the cake looks like a man's private area! Horrible.

But the baseball cake is adorable!!

Kristin said...

ummm, my invite was lost in the mail. (wtf?) :( looks like you guys had a great time. call you next time i'm in. we'll find a restaurant that remembers what we ordered.

♥Jess said...

Even though I am laughing at this & Carters picture is priceless, I must say I would've DIED. It could've caused an attack especially since you've been dreaming of this cake years prior to.

LOVE the cake though, it's too cute!

Christin said...

The suspense was Tony and I waiting to see if you were laughing or crying..... It was a scary few seconds, haha! You handled it so well and thankfully we had just opened the champagne! Hahaha, oh Carter!

Newlywed Next Door said...

Hilarious! BAD DOG! It's so hard to stay mad at pets though, isn't it?

Happiness Is... said...

That's hilarious!

Stefenie said...

Soooo funny! What a great memory though that you can one day share with Preston. I am sure he will get a kick out of it too!

Lyndsay said...

Y'all did such a good job covering it up! :) It was SO delicious. So very happy to share such a special day with you, Gherkin and P. Love you all.

In this wonderful life... said...

LOVE the cake!!! I would have freaked!!! That's so something that would happen! haha

Lori said...

This cracks me up!!! Been there, sorta.... And yes, the dogs lived! At least you got pictures!!! Someone in our house didn't listen and take a picture of the cake I made and so.... Memory only! That's ok, daddy says he didn't hear me tell him to get a picture (really????) do one day, Luke will know that boy selective hearing gene comes honest!!!!!

Laura said...

I love your blog and I found it through Breanne Nash! My little girl is turning one in March so I was wondering how you did the bunting for the mantle. His party looks like it was amazing! Thanks for all of the inspiration!