Monday, April 23, 2012

medication scare.

For my fellow heart moms or any other mommies of medicine-taking toddlers...
-----------------------------------

It was that time to pick up Preston's prescription (a compounded liquid) so Mr. Gherkin ventured out to pick it up on Sunday.

Upon arriving home I filled about 8 or 9 syringes with 3.5 mL of the medication.  Shortly after it was 3 pm, which is his dosing time, so I gently pushed the liquid in Preston's mouth.  He loves this stuff and usually takes it without a problem.   Yesterday, though, he only took a cc before he locked his lips not letting me put anymore in.  That's when I realized a strong minty --- think Listerine minty--- scent.  

Sure enough that strong scent was coming from the syringe and it was even stronger when we opened the medicine bottle.   We immediately called the pharmacist.  No one could tell us what changed or if it was right or wrong.  At that point, I didn't care I just wanted a new bottle of medication.   The pharmacist agreed completely.  Now we have a new bottle of medication that smells like the usual --- which is really nothing at all. 

Moral of the story is always double check your children's medications. Smell and taste each new bottle to see if it is the same.  I am very familiar with the scent and Mr. Gherkin, the taste.  

I am not trying to place blame on the pharmacy ... I could never tell you for certain that there was something wrong with the prescription ... but after P refused to take it and then the difference in the smell we had to trust our gut and get a new bottle.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer on a Monday ... but I felt the need to share. Gotta watch out for our kiddos.  Know what I mean?


8 comments:

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

OH GIRL. So scary. Great words of advice for any parent. Same thing happened to us (compounding pharm too) and I just knew it was the wrong stuff. I double/triple check everything for them now, as well as for myself. They have a great pill identifier on webmd for typing in the description of the drug and the imprint to make sure you are getting the right stuff. Not helpful for compounded meds, but then you're right, go by smell, consistency, etc. THanks for sharing!!

http://clanahanfam.blogspot.com/2010/08/mommys-intuition.html

Missy said...

That is scary. So glad it had such a strong scent so that you were able to figure out something was wrong quickly, but hate that you had to deal with it at all.

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

I TOTALLY GET IT

my sister in law was out of town and her mom was watching my nephew....he was sick and gma took him to ped. they prescribed something (don't remember details) anywho

the pharm gave WRONG prescript....it was something for an adult and had codeine.

gma noticed he started passing out...she thought he was tired from being sick...but she couldn't wake him...put him in the cold tub....nothing...rushed him to the er...and there he stayed until he slept it off...16 hrs....

glad your little man noticed a diff taste....and glad nothing came of it...scary stuff....

i know pharm are busy but jeepers...double checking is sooo important!

Erin said...

I hate that y'all had this scare. It's a wonderful reminder to us all. Thanks for sharing! Hope y'all had a wonderful weekend!

Ben and Katie said...

Aww man that is no fun at all! Good catch for sure!
Not only in kiddos but adults meds too! I have caught things several times both in the hospital and out!
Also have caught things with my own patients and their meds at times!
Scary when you're dealing with meds on higher levels!

Cheryl Enlow said...

I personally got a wrong prescription from CVS and it made me pass out. It was really scary. I didnt think anything of it until after the fact. So now after that incident I check all my meds. But what a scary thing for a child. Good thing you were so in tune with him. You are such a good mama :)

Amber said...

Great reminder to not just get in the routine but stay alert

Hannah said...

Last time my daughter (2 years old at the time) was on prednisone, we fought with her over every dose for a day and a half before we got a call from the pharmacist telling us that he'd written the dosage wrong and we were giving her over TWICE as much as what she needed. He said it wouldn't hurt her although it might be hard on her stomach, but I've been on prednisone MANY times before and I know how bad the side effects can be! I was NOT happy.