Friday, May 11, 2012

remembering my mawmaw.

May 11, 2012

My heart is filled with so much sadness yet so much joy today.

Today is the day MawMaw got her wings ...
which means she's getting to see those pearly gates and claiming her Heavenly mansion.

Preston and I were in The Woodlands having lunch with Mr. Gherkin when my brother called.  As I was driving back to Houston afterwards all of these thoughts and memories popped in my head.  Fully believing she can hear me and my thoughts I thanked her aloud for each and every memory.
---------------------------------

She bought me Keds (in every color) even when my mom said they were too expensive.
She didn't missed our softball games.  Ever.
She never missed my brother's baseball games. Ever.

I thanked her for all of that.


She had a way with kids.
I strive to be more like her as a mom.
I thanked her for teaching me how to be a mom today.

She was the most selfless person ever.

She loved to go to the dog races.  Some of my most favorite memories with her happened at Gulf Greyhound Park.  I thanked her for those perfect and cherished memories.


She made the best sugar toast.  Just the right amount of butter and the sugar was always evenly spread.  It also helped that she never touched a piece of whole wheat bread.  Only served white bread in her house.

I've never met a more encouraging person.
Even if I told her I wanted the impossible she was still my biggest cheerleader.
I can never thank her enough for that.


She was never too busy. Never.
 She was the easiest person to talk to.
What I'd give to have just one more conversation with her!
One day I will, and I thank God for that.

And I quote my husband, "Your grandmother is the wisest person I know."
I ditto that.


I remember when the family gave her a cell phone, she asked what she was supposed to do with that "damn thing."  She quickly became the queen of talking on that cell and of text messaging.


There was nothing she hated more in the world than Dr. Pepper.  That lady had great taste!

She wanted Preston to have big brown eyes, and Preston has beautiful big brown eyes.  I got pretty choked up as I looked over my shoulder at Preston sleeping in the back seat thinking about how he'll never get to know first hand how truly awesome his great grandmother truly was.  I then vowed to make sure I tell him over and over again all about her. 

God knew what He was doing when he let me be her granddaughter.  It is an honor and a privilege.

I will never forget her. Never.

No right amount of words could ever, ever describe just how much this lady meant and will always mean to me.

When I was almost home the song Angel By Your Side by Francesca Battistelli came on the radio.  Perfect timing.  I always considered MawMaw to be my angel here on Earth .... the angel by my side, and even though my heart is terribly saddened today I'm so thankful and joyful that this angel has finally gained her wings.


I'll love you always, MawMaw, and thank you for loving me the way you did. 





20 comments:

Jenn Smith said...

Tiff- I am so sorry for your loss.. Praying for yall!! Jenn

Breann said...

Tiffanie I am so sorry my sweet friend. I know how much you loved her. Please let me know if we can help with anything at all - dogs, the yard, bring you food, you name it.
Or if you need to split some wine and reminisce, I am here for that too.
Love you.

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Oh, my friend. What a beautiful tribute to a special lady. I had to giggle at the white bread and dr. pepper comments too : ) My heart and prayers are with you all during this sad yet joyous time as she is reunited with Her Father in Heaven. Much love to you all.

Lori said...

Tiffanie, sweet friend, this post has me in tears. Tears for your loss because I know how much losing a precious grandmother hurts, tears for your joy because I know how much of a blessing a Godly woman we'll see again in eternity is...and tears with you for all the wonderful that Preston will miss on this earth as she is gone.

But you know it...it's ONLY on this earth he'll miss it. One day, forever, it's his. Ours. All of it. I know days like today make you wish it was right now. It does for me. But keeping you lifted and thanking God with you for the amazing and strong women in our lives who have made us who we are today.
All my love and prayers for you!!

Shae said...

Very sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

shanalex said...

i don't know you in real life but i follow your blog. i'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother.
prayers for you and your family.

love from SC,
shanna

Elizabeth Conaway said...

I'm so sorry! Love, hugs, and prayers for your sweet family.

Amber said...

What a beautiful post, I'm so sorry for your loss. You have reminded me to call my grandmother today for no reason other than to tell her I love her.
You family is in my prayers.

Queen Bee said...

I sent you a text… I don't know if you got it. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you during this time. Maw Maw was such a wonderful lady I know her memories will live on with you forever your family is in my prayers this time

Missy said...

Tiff, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much she meant to you and what a huge roll she has played in your life. You always spoke so highly of her and it always made think of my relationship with my PawPaw.

You know that no matter how blessed you think you are to have had her in your life, she felt twice as blessed to have you in hers!

Love you!

Ashley said...

So sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman!

Karen said...

Tiff- Thinking of you and your family. MawMaw was such an amazing woman in your lives I know. Prayers for peace. Love you - k

Brandie Brown said...

Many prayers for peace and comfort during this time. So sorry for your loss.

Ben and Katie said...

From what you wrote it sounds like she was one amazing lady! I'm happy you have all those memories with her!
Will be praying for you!

Alyssa said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your Maw-maw's passing. She sounds like a wonderful woman and I'm certain she thought the same about you! I know that my Ma-ma was very special to me, and I never tire telling my kids all about her and the times we shared. I take great comfort knowing that my kids "know" her, even though they never met her, and I know that Preston will feel the same way some day!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

I'm sorry for your loss. This is such a sweet post and one that truly seems to capture her happiness and her zest for life and family. You are truly celebrating a wonderful woman!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Aw, Tiff, I choked up reading this post. She meant the world to you - I can just tell from your sweet words.

I hope I can have the privledge of meeting her some day.

Thoughts and prayers are with you all. Xoxo

Kristin said...

she was amazing, t. luckily, her strong willed sense and caring heart live on in you. she loved you so much . . . take comfort in the fact she is happy and well now. love you, friend!

emily said...

I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like such a wonderful lady and your post was just so sweet and touching.

Mrs. Pretty said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family.