Tuesday, June 26, 2012

God bless texas bbq.



 Mr. Gherkin's always dreamed of adventuring through the Texas Hill Country stopping along the way to eat at all the famous bbq spots.  He and a couple of his friends talked about renting an RV for a week or two and living out that dream.  Along came a baby, though, and that was certainly all pre-baby talk.

While hanging out in the hill country a few weeks ago, though, we decided to forego the pool one overcast and rainy day, venture into Lockhart, and take part in a little bbq sampling.

First up, we ate a little of this and a little of that at the famous Black's Barbecue.

As usual, Preston preferred the beans.

Me, personally, I preferred the ribs.

Next, we hit up Smitty's Meat Market.  This was my favorite of the two, but I will have to say I was a little taken back as we walked through a dark entryway only to enter a smoke-filled room with two large fire pits, soot covering every wall, with the most amazing smell of barbecue ever.  My clothes smelled like Smitty's all day long.
At Smitty's they served the food in sheets of butcher paper.  That was a nice touch over the styrofoam plates at Black's.  It's all in the presentation, people.

We were stuffed after those two places and decided to call it quits for this year. Overall, both places were great, but Smitty's takes the cake for me.

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. 
 Abraham Lincoln



2 comments:

Cheryl Enlow said...

How fun! I would love to do that too. I heart my some BBQ.

Alice said...

If you ever come to Tulsa, OK - you MUST go to Burn's BBQ! It is the best place ever. They are only open from 10-2pm. The ribs are delicious!!