Friday, September 21, 2012

red and yellow, kill a fellow.


Consider this my public service announcement on coral snakes.

As we headed out on an early morning, family walk we stumbled upon a snake just in front of our neighbor's house, a mere 50 feet from our backyard. 

Luckily it was dead (looked like someone ran over it with a car tire), otherwise, I would've lost my marbles because that sucker had red on yellow bands. 

Red and yellow, kill a fellow. 
Red and black, friend of Jack

It was a freaking coral snake.  A coral snake!  Just feet from the backyard that my son runs around and plays in every day.   Just typing that sends my heart rate up. 

I was absolutely adamant about it being a coral snake. Mr. Gherkin doubted me and immediately googled it upon walking in the door after our walk.  Like I said, it was a coral snake. 

I was too shaken to take a picture, but here's a nice picture showing the difference between the venomous coral snake and the harmless copycat.

via

It's been two weeks and I still find my self looking in every area of the yard for a peek of red and yellow.   Where there's one, there's more, right?  Could this have been momma-coral-snake and her babies are running around somewhere in our yard?  If you're out there mr/mrs/baby coral snake, feel free to eat all the mice your little heart desires. Just leave my baby alone.  Deal?

So let's all know that red and yellow can kill a fellow.  Probably everyone already knows this. Everyone except my husband that is. 

PSA over.  Thank you for your attention. 


6 comments:

Brandi said...

Girl, those ugly things are everywhere lately!!! My sister walked in her backyard and her mini schnauzer had it in his mouth. Thank God the snake didn't latch on little Raider. You should see the Rattle Snake my bro just killed, oh my word...huge!!!!

Missy said...

That is so scary!! I hate snakes! I think Crystal and John just found one too at her parents house. I am going to have my eyes out!!

Stefenie said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! Sooooo glad we don't have poinsonous snakes around here, Yikes!!

Lori said...

I canNOT stand snakes. ANY snakes. And there have been THREE copperheads killed in the last month in our neighborhood. Our yard is basically backing woods and copperhead central. We are outside all the time and I am terrified. UGH.

Happiness Is... said...

Ugh - hate snakes. I almost stepped on a rattlesnake when we lived in Scottsdale. Scary!!

Alyssa said...

Oh! I'd be a little freaked out, too! The kids and I saw a snake recently and tried to remember that rhyme but couldn't. It was a water moccasin that we came across, so at least we don't have to worry about it in our backyard!