Wednesday, September 5, 2012

twenty months of motherhood.


I have a 20-month old.

A 20-MONTH OLD.

Here's what my life is like with a 20-month old:

I dreamed of only preparing nice, warm, well-balanced meals for my son.
Truth be told, there've been nights that tortilla chips comprised his entire dinner plate (his choice, not mine). Truth also be told that I check the windows to make sure no other moms are watching through the window as son eats said dinner.

His wife will thank me one day because it seems that Preston has inherited my organizational gene. You should see this boy stack his diapers.  Mr. Gherkin did one day, and his eyes filled up with tears. They were tears of fear.  He fears having two of the same person under one roof. Ha!

I'm the person who, when pulls up next to a homeless person or panhandler at an intersection, will grab my phone and look down to avoid eye contact with him/her.My son, however, starts waving with fully stretched arm, smiling, and saying hi to said panhandler from the back seat.

I'm scared of everything.  See.
My son?  He's scared of nothing.  Except pigs. Still can't explain that one.

All moms are entitled to and need a good cry even if we're not sure what we're crying about.

I thought my departure to work in the mornings would be, well, a little sweeter.  You know, maybe a hug or some kisses.  Truth is, I get "sugar" maybe once a week.  The other days I get a "Bye, Mama" from across the room. 

I can't carry a tune, but Preston doesn't seem to mind.  You should see his eyes light up when I sing (to others it sounds like nails on a chalkboard, I'm sure of it).

I've never felt more boring and lame before.  I don't have wheels, I can't roll,  I can't bounce, and I certainly can't roar like a dinosaur.  I'm low man on the totem poll around here.

And just when I think my heart is full and that I couldn't love him more, he does his little wave or says a new word or falls asleep yet again on my chest and my heart fills just a little bit more.






7 comments:

Cristi Atchley said...

The last picture of him waving his little hand? Swoon!

I'm not a mama, but that just put a lump in my throat! :-)

Loved this post!

Dianna said...

Sweet post! Preston is too cute!

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

that last picture is adorable!!!!

as for time flying..i hear ya...my oldest just turned 16. i can remember it like it was yesterday carrying him in my belly dreaming of his birth and wondering what he would look like or who he would be...he's even better than i imagined!

Missy said...

I LOVE this post!! I feel ya friend!

Love all the pics of sweet P!!!

Katharine @ SouthernBourbonMountains said...

Wonderful post and I'm in the same boat! Ford just started saying night night but in the cutest sleepy toddler kind of way...ah he melts my heart!

Katharine @ SouthernBourbonMountains said...

Oh PS, We have had Ritz for dinner before and fruit loops for breakfast...dry.

Lori said...

Girl. If it wasn't for oatmeal, cheesebread, yogurt, cheerios, pancakes, strawberries and milk, (and good vitamins), Luke would eat NOTHING. And yes, that's his ENTIRE diet most days. Sigh.

How has 20 months passed so quickly????????

xoxoxo