Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 days: be intentional - day four.




A couple of Sundays ago we watched a video in Sunday School encouraging us to spend some intentional quiet time alone in prayer and in God's word.   Since, what I like to call, my come back to Jesus moments while I was pregnant with Preston (see here and here), I committed myself to reading my devotions and to prayer each morning.   I've always heard it was best to set that time aside in the mornings so that you start you day with God.

Not sure what was I thinking with the whole morning thing, though?  I'm seriously not a morning person.  At all.  But I did it or should I say I attempted it for a whole two years.   I wish I could sit here and say that I'm diligent every morning.  I'm not.  Most days I'm good, but I forget some mornings or just wake up busy.   I wish I could sit here and say that I remember what I read and get through my whole prayer list every single morning.  I don't.  I get easily distracted in the morning with thoughts of organizing my day. 

So, anyhow, back to the video, he recommended having a quiet time when we're at our best.  It dawned on me, I needed to change when I had my quiet time because I'm definitely not at my best in the mornings.  Truth be told, I'm at my worst. 

I decided to start having my quiet time during my lunch break.  Fortunately, I do get a nice break in the middle of the day Monday-Thursday and that time is all mine.  No husband.  No toddler.  Just me.  When I'm home with P Friday through Sunday, his nap time is the perfect time for my quiet time.

For the past two weeks,  I've hit up a nearby Starbucks, the public library near my office, the park when the weather was cooperating, or even just stayed at my desk for some quiet time each day.  (some days 5 minutes, some days the full hour).  It's working much better.  I'm actually remembering, learning, and applying the devotionals and scripture to my life (instead of forgetting about them 10 minutes later due to the chaos the morning can bring).

I've download the HolyBible app by YouVersion to my phone.  I intentionally put that bad boy right in between the two apps I use the most each day, facebook and instagram so I can't miss it. The app has a ton of different devotional plans and that's basically what I've been using the past couple of weeks for my intentional quiet time.

See, there it is.  Intentionally, right there in the middle.


read more of my 31 days series here.



2 comments:

Katie said...

Wow that is the EXACT realization I came to over the past month of so! I have always heard that quiet time should be in the morning "to start your day off right" but then learned that God made each of us different. I am a mid-day girl also and learned to love and embrace that time!

And I love that Bible app and its plans!

Angela B said...

I just happened across your blog, and your post is so true! We desperately need to be intentional about our time with the Lord. I am following you now and would love for you to stop by my blog. I am trying to build my blog up and would love any advice, but I will definitely be stopping by your blog for inspiration.
Have a great day,
Angela
http://angelabrabon.blogspot.com/