Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 days: be intentional -- day nine.




In order to "be intentional" for myself, for my family, and for my spiritual relationship, I must learn to intentionally say no to other commitments and to those things that won't necessary matter tomorrow. 

Saying no, I can't work more hours right now --- because my son's only young once.
Saying another time, we can't join you for dinner --- because we really need our family time tonight.
Saying it's okay that I didn't prepare a gourmet meal with plenty of veggies tonight --- because in ten years it's highly unlikely my son's going to remember eating yet another cheese quesadilla.

or

Saying forget about the loads of laundry that needs to be done or that we need to go to the grocery store so we can join our friends at the Greek festival. 
Saying so what that I'm ready to load the dishwasher and be done in the kitchen, so that I can watch my son lick the beaters and the bowl clean.  That's one of my favorite childhood memories.
Saying yes I'll make plans to go on the girls' trip even though I'll madly miss my family because I can't forget that those girls are my family, too.  They've been with me at my most vulnerable times.  They've seen me at my most irresponsible times.  I love them, I wouldn't be who I am today without them, and I'll be intentional about making sure we're still friends even when we're old, wrinkled, and wearing oxygen masks. 

So I'm working on it.  I'm learning that being intentional can unintentionally lead to some pretty great be-intentional moments.


"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." --- Joseph Campbell


read more of my 31 days series here


4 comments:

Kristin said...

i feel the pressure of planning an awesome weekend! put on your party panties!

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

This.is.all.perfect.and.true. Thanks for sharing : )

madeforreal.com said...

Love your blog and read Preston's story. Unbelievable. And how ironic that I just got done reading another 31 Dayer with a son who has a "heart" story as well... #296, I think, 31 Days of Grace by Early Bird blog. Do you know her?? Or have you seen her sight? Anyhow,... So blessed for having stopped by today. Thank you!

Tiffanie BV said...

Love comments like the one above! Off to meet someone new ...