Tuesday, October 23, 2012

the writing is on the wall.


Man, I've been missing my MawMaw so much lately.  Not missing the frail little lady who was bedridden the last few months of her life, but the strong lady who, no matter how many miles were between us, would chat with me for hours and leave me feeling like she was sitting right here beside me holding my hand.  Missing her to the point that my heart physically hurts.  

After she passed away back in May, I told my aunts that I needed something with her handwriting on it.  I'd seen a photo on pinterest of another blogger who framed handwritten recipes from her grandmother and I fell in love with it. 

My grandmother was not a written recipe kind of person ... she knew her favorites by heart.  She was, however, a business woman running the family business until her stroke, and she had this rolodex that she wrote everything down in.  Everything.  Social security numbers.  Every address her family and friends ever had.  Every phone number.  Even little notes to herself. 

We all knew that was her rolodex.  We didn't dare mess with that thing.  So I asked for a few cards from her rolodex after she passed.  I cherish these.  They're stained with oil from her hands and the paper has aged over the years.   This rolodex, seriously, tells a story.  She rarely threw any of the cards away.  Had to add plenty over the years, but rarely threw any away. 

After months of sitting around in my office, I recently framed a few of my favorites and they're now hanging in my office where I can see them and remember her every day. 



Here's to being intentional about hanging on to our memories.


7 comments:

Alyssa said...

It's amazing how something as simple as a person's handwriting can be such a huge part of their legacy and cherished so much. I've recently started keeping everything my grandparents write to me- usually it's a note on their counter when they go somewhere and ask me to pick up their mail or water their plants, but it's still so special already.

Missy said...

I love this!! I am sorry your heart is aching. You know she is watching over you and was dancing around celebrating P's great check up last week!!

Jennifer said...

I love this and I think I am going to have to do the same thing with some of my Nana's handwriting. She has been gone 2 years this month and I still ache for her.

Lisa Johnson said...

LOVE THAT! Makes me miss my Omah too. :( She passed away last April. I have had so many friends lose a grandparent this last year. I guess we are at the age, but it doesn't make it any easier. Thinking of you, friend!

Happiness Is... said...

Aw I love that. I have some things in my grandmother's handwriting as well and they are so special.

Kristin said...

i love that!

Tish said...

Awesome Tiff...and I understand. I have my Mammaw's bible and her handwritten notes and prayer lists. It never occurred to me to frame them. Thanks for the idea!