Wednesday, November 28, 2012

rudolph.


Since as long as I can remember, Rudolph has been a highlight of the holiday season in Lufkin, Texas. I can remember always begging my parents to drive by Rudolph on the way home from my grandmother's house.

via

As a young child I remember thinking it was the most fabulous thing ever.  As a teenager it was always nice to see Rudolph go up because it meant the holidays were nearing, but of course that same childlike excitement dwindled.

As a mom, being able to see Rudolph through the eyes of a child is pretty spectacular.  I am certain I was more excited than Preston this year.


His grandpa and his uncle Bubba took him to see Rudolph for the first time this year without me since Preston went to Lufkin a few days before us during the week of Thanksgiving.  I knew it was going to happen, but I was so sad that I wasn't going to be able to see his initial reaction.  Truth is that Preston didn't like Rudolph the first night.  They said he kept saying "no, no, no" until they left.

Well, I was determined that we were going to see Rudolph together and that he would enjoy it so we all loaded up and I asked him if he wanted to go see Rudolph.  His reply, "No."  My heart sank.  Commence pouty face --- I wanted to see Rudolph.

So I waited a minute or so and asked if he wanted to go see the lights.  "Yeah," he answered and that was that. We pulled up to the lights/ Rudolph.  At first he wouldn't get close to Rudolph, only to play with the lights on the trailer and pose in front of Santa.  By the end of our visit though, he would walk up to the fence surrounding Rudolph and give him "knuckles" (aka fist pump).





I heart Rudolph the Red Nosed Pumping Unit.  Thanks for letting me experience the joy and excitement of Rudolph with you, Preston.