Tuesday, June 11, 2013

because I have to document this.


Remember back in the fall that Preston's cardiologist said to stop the Captopril that he took three times a day?  (original post here)

As exciting as it was to know that she considered Preston's heart healthy enough to stop, I was a bit sad.  And scared.

Sad because, well, I'd given that medication to him three times a day from the age of 2 weeks old when he was discharged from the hospital.  Stopping it was like cutting the umbilical cord once again.

Scared becuase, well, how would I know if his condition started declining as a result of stopping the medicine.  Just as luck would have time, Preston came down with a stomach bug about 2 weeks after stopping it.  He was lethargic and his belly was a bit distended.  In hindsight, I know that can completely happen with any gastroenteritis, but y'all know me by now, I freaked out thinking it was totally related to his heart.  

I called his cardiologist, she reassured me but told me she would meet me in clinic if needed the day before Thanksgiving to check out his heart if his symptoms weren't better in a couple of days.  Within a day, he was back to himself.  I think I finally started to breath easier then.

Anyhow, back to my story, that full bottle of liquid, compounded medication has been sitting in my fridge since November.  I couldn't bring myself to pour it out.  When I opened the fridge I saw it, and it would remind me of how far we'd come, Preston had come, and how blessed we were.  He went from doctor's doubting his ability to survive to taking absolutely no medications at all (knocks on wood). 

If you follow me on instagram you might have seen that I finally worked up the nerve to pour out his old medication a couple of weeks ago.


It tugged on my heart strings a bit, but overall I felt extremely blessed and really grateful for a healthy boy!

Thankful for the opportunity to witness this miracle and to serve a God who can do immeasurably more than we could ever ask or imagine.  (Eph 3:20).

3 comments:

rachel said...

God is SO good! Happy to hear your little one is healthy and doing so well. Thanks for sharing!

Suvi said...

Hi!

Found my way in here via Pinterest, when I was searching cute ways to announce the gender of the baby (having THE ultrasound tomorrow, so...). We propably have to do the sidewalk chalk + shoes -thingy too! Our pregnancy announcement was this show thingy: http://nida-amanda2.blogspot.fi/2013/02/pieni-ihme.html (that's a poem about carrying a child underneath your heart etc in finnish) :)

Noticed you have almost same pregnancy weeks going that I have right now. I'm due in October 27th. :)

I'll come back to check how you're bumping for sure!

Hope you have a nice week! :)

♥: Suvi

Ben and Katie said...

Love that he is off the med!
Diff situation but same experience with Ben! Last year I decided he didn't need to be on like 3 meds which were mood and and antidepressant. So with the weaning plan from his doc I weaned him off all three!
Last ones to come off were his seizure meds...his army resident doc said he'd never be off them. My nurse mind kicked in, I took over (slap to the hand by future va doc) and weaned him off both sz meds! He's been off those since last sept!
It's such an amazing feeling to know that they don't have to be dependent on meds and have had no issues since being off of them! Yes scary as you wean off but pure joy knowing that they're off and it won't affect the other parts of body!
Blessings!!