Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hadley's birthday { part three }

See part one here and part two here.


Unlike our previous hospital stay, this hospital stay was a walk in the park.  Well except for one really bad night of pain for me (stupid post c-section gas pains). 

Truth be told, that I cried for two days once I got home and mostly because I wanted to go back to the hospital.  Real talk.  I also cried because it was over.  I think it was the typical baby blues that come and go right after delivery, but seriously, I loved my hospital experience.



I loved getting to room and board with my baby this time around.  I put her to the breast as quickly as I could and I was also pumping by day one.  Although I felt like we were doing ok, Hadley experienced one low blood sugar.  That hypoglycemia and my over anxious nurse resulted in my giving Hadley some formula and donated breast milk to supplement until my supply could establish.  I fed her through a syringe as opposed to a bottle and nipple.  That was quite a bit of work --- in fact, I abandoned that within 24 hours of getting home.

pretty in pink :)

I couldn't stop staring at her. Still can't. I remember being amazed at how small and dainty she was/ is. A small dainty body, with long fingers and long feet. 


She roomed with us the first night.  The 2nd night she went to the nursery for a few hours for a "car seat test," her newborn screen, and because I was hurting pretty bad that night.  I think we slept for a full 45 minutes that night.  


The third night, being a couple of exhausted parents and knowing that we would be going home to an overly active toddler, we sent Hadley to the nursery over night for 6 hours.  Holy sleep!  It was good. 




Preston came again on Day 2 to see us. Although he wasn't quite sure what exactly was happening and it's certainly been an adjustment for him since we've been home, I loved seeing the excitement in his eyes and the way his face lights up when he sees his baby sister. 


This is a blurry picture below, but I melt.  Preston's little hand compare to Hadley's little head.  Makes Preston feel like a giant compared to Hadley.  In fact, the first time I held Preston after being home I cried my eyes out. It was a slap in the face --- they grow up so quickly. He seemed like such a big boy compared to the 4 lb 8 ounce baby I brought home from the hospital.




DIY door hanger here



I adore her sweet little face in the picture above.



Her going home outfit is the only preemie thing I owned prior to going to the hospital.  I had a couple newborn gowns for her to go home in, but a couple of weeks before she was born I ordered this preemie dress just in case she came early and was small.  So glad I did because she was indeed early and small. 


Daddy and I getting her ready to go home.  I love her facial expression here. 




Buzz Lightyear, all part of his big brother gift, in all his glory greeted us at home that afternoon.  


So grateful for these three.  Mr. Gherkin is a trooper for putting up with me through all this.  I don't do pregnancy or change well.  So glad he loves me the way he does.  


Welcome home, sweet Hadley.  We're going to have so much fun together. 


6 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh I just love this post. Such wonderful pictures. Congratulations, again.

PS. Love the venti coffee in the background of the picture with your hubs :)

Meg O. said...

Oh my stars, I can't believe how tiny and sweet she is. What a precious little girl!

Dianna said...

I love this post! I along with others have said how #1 seems to grow up overnight when #2 arrives. They just don't seem so little anymore.

Bhavi Patel My Lush Box said...

Wow she is just the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen. I'm actually welling up from this post haha. You have a beautiful family and I adore your blog.

http://mylushbox.blogspot.co.uk

xx

emily said...

Beautiful...simply beautiful!

Emily said...

Goodness, seriously she is just adorable! I absolutely die over her going home outfit and bonnet. And I'd love to know where her little hat with the bow is from? We definitely need one!