Sunday, October 20, 2013

hadley's birthday :: part two


Part One here

My c-section started closer to 2 pm.  The anesthesia went off without a hitch, but just as with Preston my blood pressure dropped almost immediately after the epidural and I immediately got nauseated.  I prepared the nurse anesthetist that this happened last time so she was on standby with the Zofran and epinephrine. 

After that everything was just fine.  I did feel more pressure this around which made the whole thing seem to take much longer.  Either that or I just had more anxiety, worry, and fear with Preston's birth. Finally, though, I heard the NA say she could see two feet (Hadley was breech), and Tony stood up so he could see Hadley be born.  Then I started hearing her sweet little cries.


The neonatal team took her to the corner of the OR for a quick assessment since she was a tad bit premature at 36 weeks and 3 days.  Her apgars were 8 and 9.  The neo doctor came to my side to reassure me that all looked well with Hadley.  "She doesn't have to go to the NICU," I asked.  He assured me there was no need for her to go to the NICU.  Music to my ears.  I was going to get to hold my baby this time. 







Within minutes they had Hadley in my arms, skin to skin.  It was perfect.  I believe my first words to Miss Hadley were, "we're going to have so much fun together."  I could hear her daddy roll his eyes --- he knows he's in trouble.  




They let her daddy hold her while they moved me from the operating table to a stretcher then they handed her back to me and they transported both of us, together, to my recovery room

At the TCH Pavilion for Women, moms get their own recovery rooms after a c-section which is super nice.  Our family got to come in immediately.  



The nausea and vomiting hit while in recovery.  I don't do anesthesia well.  The exact same thing happened with Preston.  I didn't hold her while they wheeled me to my room due to the vomiting spells --- they instead swaddled her and let her ride between my legs.  It was a pretty eventful ride given my vomiting spells and the baby alarm/ security bracelet sounding when we got on the elevator. 

Ms. Rosa brought big brother, Preston, to the hospital later than evening.  He was so excited as you can see.  It was a super sweet moment to witness.


Big brother giving Baby Hadley sweet sugars for the first time. 



And finally, our first photo as a family of four!


Part 3, the final days in the hospital and our arrival home, coming soon.

4 comments:

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Oh my friend! I had such happy tears reading this "No NICU". Praise the Lord. And goodness, no one looks that good after a c-section :) Congrats again, Momma. (and yes, you get in trouble with girls. That's what girls & their mamas were meant to do)

Ashlynn said...

Beautiful pictures, beautiful family!! So happy for you all :)

Chasity Munn said...

Teeny tiny! Thanks for sharing your story and photos. :)

Kristin said...

I missed so much! I haven't been on the computer much lately and I am finally caught up on your sweet little family! WHat a gorgeous baby and family! I am so happy for you and I hope you are just loving life with your two precious little ones. It is simply amazing!
ps I am just so obsessed with your house. I wish you could come decorate my house!
Enjoy the rest of your maternity leave and loving up your sweet family! xoxox Kristin